Teaching & Learning
District 28 offers a comprehensive educational program for students. Parents are encouraged to learn more about the topics covered at each grade level by downloading the Parent Curriculum Guide for their child's grade level.
Some of the opportunities that we offer to our students include:
- A rigorous curriculum aligned to the Illinois Learning Standards
- Spanish instruction beginning in first grade. In sixth grade, students may choose between Spanish or French.
- Organic Gardens & Outdoor Classrooms
- Literacy and language arts has a workshop-based curriculum, Literacy Studio, that was developed with one of the nation's top literacy experts.
- A nationally recognized music program. District 28’s band, orchestra, and choir programs have been recognized locally, regionally, and statewide with superior ratings. Northbrook District 28 has been recognized as one of the Best Communities for Music Education by the National Association of Music Merchants annually since 2015.
- State Blue Ribbons for physical and health education. The Illinois Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation & Dance (IAHPERD) has awarded District 28 schools with the Blue Ribbon Award three times.
- Northbrook Junior High received the National Blue Schools Award in 2023; Westmoor School received the same award in 2022 and Greenbriar School received the award in 2013.
Curriculum Continuous Improvement Cycle
Improving teaching and learning through the curriculum revision process is a priority for our district and an ongoing process. Core subjects are on a five-year review rotation.