Section 3 Bus Transportation
Families wishing to access the District’s school bus service must sign up using the School Bus Registration form, which is mailed over the summer by the transportation company. Students will be provided with a bus pass, which should be carried at all times. Students who normally ride the bus may ride a different route provided there is room on that route and parent permission has been granted. New families to the District should contact the school secretary to inquire about bus transportation.
Bus Conduct (refer to Board Policy 7:220)
Student safety is a primary concern of school staff. Safe travel to and from school and/or school-sponsored events requires the cooperation of everyone on the bus. The bus driver is the authority on the school bus, and students should be respectful to the driver at all times. All students must follow the District’s School Bus Safety Rules. The Superintendent, or any designee as permitted in the School Code, is authorized to suspend a student from riding the school bus for up to 10 consecutive school days for engaging in gross disobedience or misconduct, including, but not limited to the following:
- Prohibited student conduct as defined in Board policy 7:190, Student Behavior.
- Willful injury or threat of injury to a bus driver or to another rider.
- Willful and/or repeated defacement of the bus.
- Repeated use of profanity.
- Repeated willful disobedience of a directive from a bus driver or other supervisor.
- Such other behavior as the Superintendent or designee deems to threaten the safe operation of the bus and/or its occupants.
The District’s regular suspension procedures shall be used to suspend a student’s privilege to ride a school bus.
Academic Credit for Missed Classes During School Bus Suspension
A student suspended from riding the bus who does not have alternate transportation to school shall have the opportunity to complete or make up work for equivalent academic credit. It shall be the responsibility of the student’s parent or guardian to notify the school that the student does not have alternate transportation.
Riding the school bus to and from school is a privilege that is provided by the school district. Student bus riders are expected to observe the following rules for their safety:
- Students must sit in their seats at all times.
- No skateboards are allowed on the bus at any time.
- Students must use their inside, quiet voices when on the bus.
- All food and drink items must remain closed in the student's school bag.
- Students’ hands and feet are to remain inside the seat area, out of the aisle, and inside and away from the window area.
- Students must choose a seat when they get on the bus and stay in that seat during the ride.
- Students may only exit the bus at a different stop with a note from his/her parents to the bus driver.
- Students must listen to the bus driver at all times, and if the driver or other school personnel assigns seats, children must sit in the assigned seats.
- Report any unsafe behavior to the driver or supervisor.
Students are expected to exercise positive choices in all of their behaviors. Any misconduct regarding bus riding and safety and/or wait-time for bus pick up will be dealt with by the school administration. Parents will be notified and appropriate consequences will be assigned according to the Northbrook District 28 Code of Conduct and Discipline. These consequences may include but are not limited to a student/parent conference, letter of apology to the driver, suspension of bus riding privileges, and/or assigned seating on the bus.
If a student is suspended from riding the bus for gross disobedience or misconduct on a bus, the Board may suspend the student from riding the school bus for a period in excess of 10 days for safety reasons. The District’s regular suspension procedures shall be used to suspend a student’s privilege to ride a school bus.
Electronic Recordings on School Buses
Electronic visual and audio recordings may be used on school buses to monitor the conduct and to promote and maintain a safe environment for students and employees when transportation is provided for any school-related activity. Notice of electronic recordings shall be displayed on the exterior of the vehicle’s entrance door and front interior bulkhead in compliance with State law and the rules of the Illinois Department of Transportation, Division of Traffic Safety.
Students are prohibited from tampering with electronic recording devices. Students who violate this policy shall be disciplined in accordance with the Board’s discipline policy and shall reimburse the School District for any necessary repairs or replacement.