Halloween at Greenbriar
It's hard to believe but Halloween is fast approaching. We will be returning to pre-pandemic Halloween procedures. Here are a few important points as you plan with your child.
- Children will be invited to change into their costumes at lunch. If they're staying at school, please ensure that their costumes are easy to change into. Unfortunately, we're not able to help with makeup or hair during lunch.
- If your child will be going home for lunch on Halloween, please submit an off-campus form and be sure to communicate to your child's teacher what the plan will be.
- Our parade will begin at 2:15 pm and will move around the neighborhood out the doors on Greenbriar around the block and back around the primary playground and back into the building. We'll follow the same route as previous years--Chestnut to Briarwood to Catherine. Guests are welcome to view the parade in the neighborhood or around the Greenbriar playground.
- In case of inclement weather, the children will parade inside. More details will be sent about how that would impact guests as we get closer to the 31st.
- No replicas of weapons are allowed with costumes. Please also avoid overly scary costumes or costumes with full-face masks. Remember, we're celebrating with 5-11-year-olds!
- Classroom parties will begin after the parade around 2:45 p.m. Only parents on the list to host the parties will be allowed entry into the building. No food will be served at the parties or used for crafts or games.
- Please do not send candy or treats with your child to share with others in school.
- Please take care with parking around Greenbriar on 10/31.
Tech Resources for Home Support
Every classroom has a digital space where students can access information, assignments, and add artifacts of their learning. Seesaw is the platform used in grades K-2 and by our specials teachers (Art, Music, PE, and Spanish). Google Classroom is used in 3rd-5th grade as their main digital learning space, but some 3-5 teachers may also use Seesaw from time to time. Parents may request access to Google Classroom via their child's credentials. Teachers may also send home access to other electronic supports as appropriate for the grade level (e.g., online reading platforms, typing practice, etc.). Your child's teachers are always the best resource to learn about supporting learning via these platforms at home.
Please note that if a child is home under a COVID quarantine and is participating in remote learning, assignments for specials classes (music, art, P.E., Spanish) can be found on Seesaw for all grades.
Only 5th graders bring home iPads on a daily basis. Students in K-4 may bring home iPads if they are learning remotely or if there is a special assignment from a teacher.
Parent Volunteer Opportunities
We're so excited to be able to invite parents back into the building to volunteer this year! If you're interested in volunteering, there are many opportunities to get involved.
- Consider joining the PTO or coming to a meeting
- Help at a school-wide event like Greyhound Gathering (we still need volunteers!)
- Volunteer to help with art adventure (contact the PTO to sign up)
- Volunteer to lead one of the classroom parties (email your room parents!)
- Be a chaperone for a field trip (email your room parents!)
- Help out at Pizza Day (sign up went out last Tuesday night)
- Be a mystery/story reader (teachers will share a sign up if applicable)
- Help support students in the classroom (teachers will share more details if applicable)
Read the latest Greenbriar Gazette for the weekly principal's message, PTO news, district updates and virtual backpack.
If you are a parent and did not receive this newsletter via email, please send updated name and email information to Dr.Ginny Hiltz.
Looking for information from a back issue? Check the Gazette Archive.
2195 Cherry Lane
Northbrook, IL 60062
Dr. Ginny Hiltz | firstname.lastname@example.org
Report an Absence
Call 847-498-7950 or email
M-F 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
M-F 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.