Safety & Security
Safety and Security Plan
District 28 is committed to a safety and security process that includes assessment, action plans, and evaluation. The district leadership develops, monitors, and improves safety and security with an ongoing process that includes:
- Comprehensive Safety Audit
- A comprehensive safety audit was conducted in the 2019-2020 school year by an outside partner agency. The results provided a multi-year, multi-tier report to the School Board. This report guides our continuous improvement. A new safety audit is being conducted in 2023 and will be included in a Master Facilities Plan that is being created by DLA Architects in the 2023-24 school year.
- Health/Life Safety Inspection
- Conducted annually by the Cook County Intermediate Service Center
- Annual State Fire Marshal Inspection
- Northbrook Police Department School Liaisons
- Our police department liaisons meet regularly with principals.
- Review of Best Practice Research and Policy Briefs
- Everytown School Safety Research Briefs (2022)
- Illinois Terrorism Task Force School Safety Working Group Recommendations (2020)
- Safe and Sound Schools Straight ‘A’ Safety Improvement Toolkits (2016)
- Sandy Hook Commission Report (2015)
Safety is addressed in three broad categories: behavioral and mental health, facility security, and emergency response protocols.