The Young Explorers program is held at Westmoor School and consists of 3 classrooms, 15 students each. There are two sessions that each meet five days a week.
- The morning session, for students turning 3 years old by Sept. 1, meets from 8:45 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- The afternoon session, for students turning 4 years old by Sept. 1, meets from 12:30 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
Classrooms follow a Blended Model (5-5-5)
- Five typically developing students
- Five at-risk students: At-risk students have developmental factors (cognitive, language, social-emotional, motor, pre-academic skills), or environmental factors (examples may include but aren't limited to premature birth or low birth weight, history of special education in the family, English Language Learner or low-income status).
- Five special education students, who qualify for services after the developmental and cognitive screening.
Integrated services for all students from certified staff
- Teachers are dual-certified in Early Childhood and Special Education
- Full-time classroom aide in each room
- Full-time Social Worker
- Full-time Speech-Language Pathologist
- Part-time School Psychologist
- Occupational therapist and physical therapist
- Related service personnel through NSSED
Evidence-based curriculum that supports the development of the whole child
- Creative Curriculum
- Jolly Phonics
- Handwriting Without Tears
- Incredible Flexible You
Progressive learning environment
- Project-Based Learning
- S.T.E.M. Education (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
- Environmental Education
- Service Learning
- Outdoor Classroom