Learning and Teaching - Overview
District 28 offers a comprehensive educational program for students. Parents are encouraged to learn more about the topics covered at each grade level by downloading the Parent Curriculum Guide for their child's grade level.
Some of the opportunities that we offer to our students include:
- A rigorous curriculum aligned to the Illinois Learning Standards
- Spanish instruction beginning in first grade. In sixth grade, students may choose to continue Spanish instruction or learn French
- Hands-on science lab for elementary students to learn biology and other life-science concepts
- Organic Garden & Outdoor Classroom
- Literacy and language arts has a workshop-based curriculum that was developed with one of the nation's top literacy experts called Literacy Studio.
- A Nationally recognized music program. District 28’s band, orchestra, and choir programs have been recognized locally, regionally, and statewide with superior ratings. In 2015 2016, 2018 and 2019, Northbrook District 28 was recognized as one of the Best Communities for Music Education awarded by the National Association of Music Merchants.
- State Blue Ribbons for physical and health education. The Illinois Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation & Dance (IAHPERD) has awarded District 28 schools with the Blue Ribbon Award twice.
Curriculum Continuous Improvement Cycle
Improving teaching and learning through the curriculum revision process is a priority for our district, and an ongoing process.
Goal 1 of Navigate 28, the district’s strategic plan, focuses on ongoing growth, development and achievement for all students. One of the key indicators for that work is to continuously improve a comprehensive curriculum.